Sunday, September 13, 2009

A day spent with Jama Masjid and it's moments

Masjid-i-Jahan -Numa is the persian derivation of our very own Jama Masjid at Old Delhi but I prefer to listen to it as Jama Masjid of Chadni Chowk. Built by Shah Jahan in 1656 AD is surely the largest and best known mosque in India and is an architectural delight for the human eye. Since I took up photography, the mosque has been my top hunt because of my love for faces and moments but also for it's architecture. Somehow I had not had the best reviews about the photographer friendliness of this mosque but trust me when I say it is a street photographer's delight, the ambience, the moments and the peace and continuous motions in the courtyard and the praying areas offer some of the best moments an eye can look to compose.

I first thought of capturing this beautiful monument at night and especially when we ( Tamal and me ) picked up our first assignment " Delhi Long Exposed ". Thus on a family dinner occasion I got to witness Jama Masjid at night and that day I decided some day I need to step inside and shoot it.

On one of our daily "Old Delhi walks" if thats the best way we can term our walking through the deep rooted heritage of Chandni Chowk, we spotted the opportunity to get inside. Paying Rs 200 for a still camera was not a big deal but the anticipation of shots and the ambience was truly a rush.

My core focus was not on the architecture but on the people and the dailly life moments which make a vivid and intertwined story of their own everyday and every hour. Here are a few shots from my very short peek inside the rich treasure of culture, history, piousness and sanctity.
 Little slice of life at thecenter of the courtyard

 Splash of purity : A ritual before prayers at the middle of the courtyard
Moment of rest at the lord's courtyard
When the mind unites with the almighty : Silent Hymns
The Hour of Silent Praying ( This is a grainy shot...incorrect metering ) but this moment was just too god for me to ignore this shot
The Bow of Faith
Hope I could give a brief flavour of the treasures this place has to offer. Comments and critics will be welcomed with open arms...till I dont get to see and learn how my end products connect with the viewers, I will always be competing in illusional competition and grace. I need to know the brick and bats..please throw them as hard as you can.
Have a great day and a week ahead.
Shivaji Ghosh

13 comments:

  1. The story adds to the flavour of your photography.."Splash of purity" and "The Bow of faith" is my personal favourite..Photography is your hidden talent..live it..I am keen to see what will beat "Splash of Purity"..that one photograph that tells its own story with alot of character..

    ReplyDelete
  2. double thumbs up.

    *takes hat off*
    this is a fantastic series, and tells a story of its own da :)

    this is a fantastic start dude..
    and the next time im in delhi, i dont care what you're upto, but you're definitely taking me here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great series of shots. The moments captured are fantastic. Love them.. Love the splash and the bow... very very nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a tonne Anonnymous! I am trying and I will get there soon :)

    haathi : Da u leave the photo hunting piece to me when ur in Delhi. I will ensure u both go bezerk shooting. Thanks a lot...need your reinforced guidance and support

    VC: Thanks a lot VC mate! glad you liked the shots..keep visiting

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent stuff ....all the best - Murthy.SN

    ReplyDelete
  6. too good Ghoshe......looking forward to see more such write -ups from you ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent shots, Shivaji! Keep on shooting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot Shinjini! Glad you liked them! yes I need to keep on shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome color tones...splash of purity is my fav among these :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was the perfect post!! Great text, good post structure, and obviously awesome shots!! Jama Masjid pics are the best (in the new post n this one!). You click really really well... what are you doing at EY, again? :P
    Nat Geo needs you! Go grab your calling! Delighted to read this one... even at 1.30 at night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kshitiz! Glad you liked it mate! that shot is a personal fave as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yashika , my zen master! I am so darn happy to get ur feedback! thanks a lot for the encouragement! I dont know, will you hire me on ur team once you become a full fledged journalist? i'll work for free re !

    ReplyDelete