Friday, September 18, 2009

Face thefts at around Delhi

Photojournalism Candid, Street, Street Portraits, sniping, people photography, what do you call this....this act of pointing ur big gun at the poor passing faces and blam!! u keep them inside your memory card and then your hard disk. I call it street photography and inside my head I think I snipe. Well how does that feature as a photographic skill, i think in street it is more of the ability to spot the moment, capture that passing character, be invisible but document what you like and still make good images out of an ordinary moment. All of this put together makes street photography my all time favorite genre, the rush of moments and the rush of faces and characters, each one of them. However there is this small little debate that I often have with my own self, why do all street shots depict the poor and the dejected? is it for their emotionally charged value? Is it the smug pleasure of not being there in their shoes or is it that the cliched term "poor India" actually sells?
My first shot that fetched me my first ever online fame was of a little girl doing roadside gymnastics, it got selected on the Nat geo site. A little girl pushing her limits to get her daily wages and I shot it...is it the moment that caught the appreciation or the helplessness? Now I may sound like a complicated mind or a pretending moderate but these are actually a few questions I kept on asking myself. Then one day I realized why I would want to shoot such moments and faces, I think I know why I want to shoot the "poor India" and the only cause and right I have to intrude into their daily lives is to pay my small little ode to their spirits. Everyday our streets are flooded with men and women who step out their with the only cause in their hearts, to earn themselves and their families the meal for the month or the day, undefeated, undeterred and undaunted. It is hard to step out in the Delhi heat forget doing photography but these champions of everyday life manage to smile, pass a joke, have a moment and carry on with their bread earnings. Every photo I take of them and every photo thats sticks onto my flickr page or this blog is a testament of how true spirits can win the most one sided of battles everyday. I want to share a few shots that I have from some of the regular street shooting I do with my friends at Old Delhi. Pure face stealing and all faces of everyday winners.





All in a day's work! I will stick to this caption.




Pondering think tank
Confirmation needed now is it ?




Our storyteller at the junction


Not so happy and a Pitbullish look

The undefeated champion



The power of  indomitable spirits


Amongst a Million faces are faces which are one in a million



The usual companion



Lost in patterns


At the end of this long rant, I would really appreciate what your views would be.This was not a justification blog but a blog to do a bit of mindshare. As usual brick and bats are most welcome and please punch that comment box for me. Have a great weekend!


Shivaji

14 comments:

  1. Shivaji - i am now confident that this name is on the right path to being a star.
    When i read your last blog "Lutyen's Delhi Long Exposed", which btw i didnt get a chance to comment on, I was kindda disappointed. I guess, after appreciating the first one, i was expecting more. I was just hoping to see more faces and their lives Vs. places and architechture. And here you are, proving me wrong. Each of these pics tell their own story. There is an instant connection to their surrounding and their daily lives. The blog by itself is well written..and you - The Narrator - totally ROCK!!!
    Stay close to your inner self and you will always do good. Keep up the good work and continue to surprise us...

    Enjoy your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...finally someone gives it a proper genre to breath. Street photography is killer thought and yes we know...that your finger clicks the shutter but your mind clicks out a snipe bullet. My personal favorite is 'Lost in patterns'. Great work Shivaji.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude... Honestly, I have never doubted your skills as a photographer, writer or a speaker. I will call you an expressionist; however some hard critical review forces me to a suggest a things.

    1. As rich as the "Poor India" is in its spirits; the rest is no less. Diversify; head out to Claridges Pan wala shop or Kake Da Dhaba - where you'll the the rich, spoilt brats and bitches splurge away. I am sure there would be a lot to capture there as well.

    2. When you write, there are times you gte carried away in the thought. The sentences become longer than they should be and hence; harder to soak in and thus make less impact. Try avoiding that.

    Keep sniping baby! I am a big fan. Even if you do not find a comment here and there, be sure that you are being followed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous!

    Why not the name buddy!? I hate addressing you with that after the great encouragement you have given me. Drop me a note to tell me who ur. I am so damn thrilled to get your reviews, trust me when I say it really makes a difference. Thanks a lot and yes I will continue to work on this. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunny bro thanks a lot! glad you liked the stash!I really appreciate the encouragement bro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Natarajan! All this time I was wondering where is my brother in war!? Thrilled to be talking to you back again! Really really appreciate the critical review mate..I need that. I agree to both the feedbacks...lemme work on them and lemme know how I am doing on my next blog. I am a big fan the other way bro! lets be in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dude. where was this stash of pics hidden away man?!

    i think youre raising the bar with every single post, and thats what keeps peopel coming back for more.

    keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bugger Aaa!!! Zen Master is here! thanks a da! All shown stash macha no hidden stuff. Thanks a lot man..will try and work it up better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shivaji, as usual, excellent pix!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. shivaji, "the undefeated champion" picture, i cant express how that picture has touched me..we see so many people like him daily.. capturing it so beautifully-- amazing.
    im ur certified FAN now.!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chugz!
    Thanks Anonymous ( hate calling that...maybe the name next time?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shivaji,

    Photography is not about capturing the world around you on lens, but all about touching those who see your pics by showing them the world they are living in, which is what you are doing.

    Keep up the good work mate!
    V.B.

    ReplyDelete